The United Nations Associations are non-governmental organizations that work in various countries to enhance the relationship between the people of member states and the United Nations, to raise public awareness of the UN and its work, and to promote the general goals of the UN.
Their long-term concerns are:
- The implementation of the Millennium Development Goals
- Peace, security and disarmament
- Human rights and humanitarian affairs
There are currently over 120 UNAs around the world and the World Federation of United Nations Associations (WFUNA) is a global nonprofit organization representing and coordinating them.
- To promote and spread UN culture.
- To promote human rights, protection of human dignity and political freedoms in the world.
- Establishing links with national and international organizations that follow the same objectives as UNA-IRAN, for the purpose of the expansion of UN objectives.
- Promotion of understanding, unity and cooperation between men, women and children for the elimination of all forms of discrimination.
- Participation for the elimination of obstacles in the way of peace, and cooperation for the establishment justice, security and disarmament.
- To achieve economic and social development for the realisation of a better life.
- Research, information provision, and education on the United Nations Charter and the UN system.